About FedEE ®
The purpose of The Federation of International Employers (FedEE®) is to provide essential, practical support to HR professionals working in multinational companies around the world – principally in the fields of employment law, employee reward and labour relations.
According to the Federation’s Secretary-General, Robin Chater,
“it has never been a question whether a multinational can afford to be part of the FedEE® family? But – how they can survive without the support FedEE® membership uniquely provides. In the last three decades, many organisations have sought to rival FedEE®, but our strength principally lies in the fact that we were formed by HR professionals for HR professionals; offer a fast, flexible and affordable service; and that we constantly respond to the requirements of multinational enterprises in the fields where we operate”.
In recent surveys of HR professionals in multinational enterprises carried out by the Federation of International Employers (FedEE®) it was found that:
- 64% of HR professional believe it is “absolutely critical” that their business is compliant with laws in jurisdictions where they operate, yet only 19% believe their own company is “totally compliant” and only 10% believe that they fully take into account recent case law decisions.
- 47% of companies do not have someone in HR to deal professionally with legal problems or questions.
- 45% of HR professionals state that they have had to contend with revising work rules and updating policies in the last year.
- 52% of HR professionals have to regularly make trade-offs between legal obligations and other demands – such as time availability, budgets, line managerial expectations, employee relations, other corporate obligations.
- The third most important challenge for HR is “little regard for legal compliance by line managers “.
We help multinationals bridge the compliance gap and reduce the risks of operating internationally in an increasingly complex, uncertain and fast-moving world.
We provide our members with essential services not generally available elsewhere – such as:
- A massive and unrivalled digest of easy-to-read employment law obligations in over 60 countries – which may be consulted 24/7,
- Daily global HR and travel alerts,
- A system to rapidly evaluate and price any job,
- Audio-visual briefings on legal frameworks in key economies worldwide,
- A rapid global employment law helpline,
- Free upgrading to FedEE® Fellowship to take part in our ‘in camera’ round table meetings, and
- A one-year professional legal training course designed specifically for HR practitioners – leading to the designation of QP-HR Counsel and recognition of a new ‘HR Counsel’ role.
The FedEE® package offers multinational companies a unique array of “must have” services centred on our huge database of practical descriptions and FedEE® interpretations of employment legislation in over 60 countries worldwide. Member firms can consult the original laws (often in English), but also have their contents set out clearly by FedEE® for them to follow. This is what we do and have done for the last 30 years – and we track developments every day to keep that picture up to date.
Our Services are constantly being shaped around the needs of our member companies and many members see us a trusted extension of their own in-house legal and HR teams. Perhaps that is why we retain such a high proportion of corporate members from year-to-year and why 96% of members say that they would not hesitate to recommend FedEE® membership to other multinational companies.
FedEE® history and governance
We were founded in 1988 by a group of HR Directors and funded for our first three years by the European Commission. Since 1991 we have operated as an independent organisation and our international (rather than European) focus dates from 2014. FedEE® is currently chaired by the Ford Motor Company and its board includes the second largest law firm in the world – Latham and Watkins – and has corporate members all around the World.
We are registered as a company limited by guarantee and our day to day operations are carried out by FedEE® Corporate Services Ltd. FedEE® Membership is open to bone fide companies that operate, or plan to operate, in two or more countries and have 150+ employees.
The FedEE Secretary-General, Robin Chater, is one of the World’s leading labour law and labour relations experts – with professional experience dating back over 30 years in the fields of data protection and equal opportunities legislation. He was formerly an Adviser to the European Commission for over ten years, a leading labour relations journalist, a senior management consultant with HAY and Arthur D Little (ADL), and Director of a fast-growing technical service company. His career embraces AI/Robotics, turning around ailing companies, mediating labour disputes, chairing job evaluation panels, drafting legislative documents, being an expert witness and the overhaul of a major mining company. He has also been widely quoted in the press, featured regularly in the media and written over twelve thousand pages of text about HR and the law – much of it in current everyday use.
A few unsolicited member comments
“I have personally always found the service and information provided by Fedee very valuable.” HR Manager, Major Networking Services Company.
“i’ve been singing your praises to my new colleagues.I think what you offer is a great service.” Global Director of HR Policy, Distributor of electronic components.
“This information is perfect and will go into a very important document on company expansion.” Japanese Life Sciences Company.
“Thursday was a very good event – well organised, well attended and well received.” Managing Partner of a Leading Irish law firm